What is SingUP?
SingUP is a project to celebrate women who use their voices to sing up for social justice and to lift others up from sexual/gender discrimination, racism, injustice, poverty, mental and physical torture, slavery, violence, imprisonment and other forms of misery.
Although the initial direction of the project focused on the site creator's selection of activist/artists, it soon broadened to include the stories of other women.
- Vale Aretha Franklin (1942-2018) Aretha Franklin was immersed and involved in the struggle for civil rights and women's rights for decades. It doesn't come any more fundamental than "RESPECT".
- Buffy Sainte-Marie performed at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival and asked the audience "to work for a better future, one without the depravities of war, colonialism, and environmental destruction".
- Indigo Girls headline Pridefest at Cedar Valley.
- The Dixie Chicks 2003 controversy has been resurrected in the light of Donald Trump's recent antics.
(Apologies for the long hiatus in news updates. Computer crash and several other circumstances have delayed me. But I should be back on schedule now.)
- Buffy Saint-Marie features in the award-winning feature documentary “Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World” by Catherine Bainbridge. Also Dalhousie University awarded her an honorary doctorate in April.
- Joan Baez is holding farewell concerts.
- It has been twenty years since the Indigo Girls released their first albums. They are still preforming.
- Folk music royalty Peggy Seeger (now in her eighties) will be a guest at the 25th Swindon Literature Festival.
- As the country marks 150 years of Confederation, five of Canada's most distinguished filmmakers respond to Buffy Sainte-Marie's call to "Keep Calm and Decolonize" and offer an alternative vision.
- Joan Baez is putting out what she has decided will be her final album.
- Female indigenous artists - CBC Music - includes profile on new instant fave Iskwé
- Resistance Revival - a collective of more than 60 women who come together to sing protest songs in the spirit of collective joy & resistance.
- Michelle Obama’s COS Turned To Dixie Chicks To Alleviate Election Night Pain
- Peggy Seeger has had to call off all her concert dates in May and June
- Joan Baez writes song to protest Donald Trump as POTUS
- Joan Baez is inducted into Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Hall of Fame